Friday, December 4

Bottom of the priority list and taking the shot

I took the H1N1 shot today. It took 2 minutes.



(but i didn't administer it on myself like this roidmonkey did) photo taken from:http://s3.images.com

What bothered me was that students didn't really take full advantage of the free shot that was offered on campus today!

"OTTAWA — If every Canadian heeds the advice of public health officials to get the H1N1 shot, there will not be enough vaccine available by Christmas as the federal government has been promising, the chief public health officer acknowledged Tuesday."

- http://www.canada.com/health/Feds+promise+H1N1+shot+Canadians+Christmas/2233699/story.html

I know people have a lot of concerns when taking needles/shots and how it would react with their bodies but the general consensus is: eveyone should take the flu shot.

Given that health officials were saying there weren't enough shots to give out to every Canadian if they opted for it was a concern in its self. But students not taking it when it was offered to us, on our own convenience, was kinda ridiculous. I do understand that people, of course, have the choice of whether or not they wanted the flu vaccine, but considering the demand for it was similar to throwing out food when other people were starving around the world.

Tell me if I was wrong to think this way, but perhaps like me being on the bottom of the list, people felt the need to reserve the shot for someone else that needed it.

Does this make me feel selfish? A little bit. But I also want to make sure I don't catch the flu and spread it. If the doctors and health officials say we need to take the shot to protect ourselves, I just don't understand why people wouldn't do it. There's no catch here, it's not like their gonna send you telemarketing promos cuz you entered your name and phone no. on the application form! It's to improve your immune system and protect yourself!!! So take it!

3 comments:

  1. After getting the shot, I have every side effect on the sheet of paper they give you: sore arm, red eyes, fever, uncontrollable urge to listen to Celine Dion, etc, etc.

    I figured I should get it, since the college is the first place an outbreak would happen (what with all of those swines hanging out in the cafeteria and all).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kenton - Oh no! I did feel a little bit off Saturday morning and thought that was the side effect, but just seemed to dissipate as the day went.

    Weird, at one point, I did have the urge to listen to Celine but fought that too.

    Funny how you say the college is the first place an outbreak would happen. Mikechoi's throat is sore and he's saying the H1N1 shot leaked out of my arm and somehow infected him...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got the shot a week before it was offered at school, and had a terribly sore arm the next day, but I lived. I couldn't resist my urge to listen to Celine Dion though, I'm just not strong enough. :(

    ReplyDelete