Tuesday, September 29

The World's Best Chicken Fingers... In The World!



Let me talk about another passion of mine... it belongs to the same genus: chickenus friedisha and was almost the focus of my blog :)

Upon entering the restaurant my buddy and I are greeted by same waitress that serve us on countless occasion we eat at Mitzi's... and yet I do not know her name.

This was our favourite place to go for chicken fingers. The fingers were handmade (go figure!) in-house apparently by the owner, Shirley Eng herself! (More info at: http://www.downtownwinnipegbiz.com/home/business/business_profiles/mitzis/)

For those who haven't been, let me just go on to say Mitzi's chicken fingers are the best in town. Not only are the fingers marinated in a 'super secret' recipe made by Shirley, they are also made fresh. The fingers are tender and unlike most fingers you get elsewhere, Mitzi's fingers aren't flat!

If you order any finger platter combo (choose between fries, rice, or salad) you are started off with rice consommé which is a type of soup made up of rice, soy sauce, and fresh green onions. Don't let the description fool you... the soup itself is delicious as it is interesting to look at (the green onions contrast with the dark-coloured broth).

Shortly after enjoying the soup, our unnamed waitress brings out our identical order of '5-piece with fries.' The other good thing about eating at Mitzi's is the speed of service. Because they are located downtown (St. Mary at Garry), lunchtime is their craziest time. Unfortunately, they do not accept reservations during lunch as it gets really busy so avoiding the rush between 11:30am to 1pm would be a smart idea.

As I look at my mouth-watering platter, I quickly check and make sure I got the mayo-dill sauce and coleslaw. I call it mayo-dill because unlike honeydill, Mitzi's dipping sauce is not clear. It looks like a mayo-like concoction with the little dill herbs swimming in it. The viscosity of their mayo-dill is also different from traditional honeydill so the experience is bound to be different! lol.

The coleslaw, however, is left to be debated. To me it's kinda hit or miss. I really like fresh coleslaw, unlike the green stuff you get from KFC. But the coleslaw at Mitzi's, to my experience, is sometimes not enjoyable because of its lack in the freshness department. Sometimes it just doesn't have that 'zing' coleslaw brings in your mouth.

Nevertheless, the fries, fingers, and mayo-dill are the elements that make my Mitzi's experience satisfying. As long as all three elements are okay then my mouth is smiling and another tick under Mitzi's is added for the best chicken fingers in the whole wide world.



3 comments:

  1. I think I'm going to have to go there tonight. I'm writing down the location and restaurant name.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mitzi's is the best! Love those fries as well...

    ReplyDelete
  3. i remember that restaurant when I was still living in Winnipeg. Do you happen to know if they will ship to europe? i am very interested. I used to have a friend that always go with me to Mitzi for good and classy chicken fingers. Unfortunately, we are no longer friends.

    ReplyDelete